Vegan and perfect for getting your #basicbitch on - natural ingredients, no added fat, and no refined sugar.
This hot cocoa is so thick you nearly have to drink it with a spoon. It has a hint of pumpkin flavor but not much, that addition just contributes to the texture which is decadent and creamy. On top of the ingredients below I think ginger, cardamom and turmeric would make wonderfully belly-healing additions to this tasty little beverage. You could also whip up a coconut cream if you want to be real bad.
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree (I used canned)
- 3-4 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 Cup High-Quality Cocoa Powder (or sub Cacao if you're nasty...not actually nasty, more like indulgent, you know what I mean, Ms. Jackson)
- 12-20 Dates (Add more depending on how sweet you want it, you can also sub dates for coconut sugar, maple syrup or another sweetener to taste but I do think the date texture has something to do with the thickness of your end product)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin spice (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Maple Syrup to top
- Add the pitted dates and a few splashes of almond milk, pulse until smooth
- Add 2 cups almond milk, all of the pumpkin, coco power and spices to the blender and blend until smooth (you may have to scrape down the sides at least once)
- At this point, TASTE your little potion to determine if you want to add any additional chocolate, spices, sweetness, etc.
- Add the blender mix to a sauce pan (minus the blade) and add more almond milk til you reach your desired texture keeping in mind that the mixture will thicken slightly when cooking (I added about 1 cup)
- Heat on medium heat til your hot chocolate starts to bubble and thicken slightly, 5-10 minutes
- Ladle into mugs and top with maple syrup, coconut whipped cream, cacao nips or whatever else your cute little head dreams up.